Saturday, April 23, 2011

Butter Lamb!

A Butter Lamb is literally, a lamb made out of butter.  It is a Polish Catholic tradition to have one every year for Easter.  According to Wikipedia, Butter Lambs are somewhat of a tradition in Buffalo, which I never knew, but I guess it makes sense, we've got a lot of Polish people.  But anyways, I like to buy one for Easter every year, but am obviously unable this year, so I decided to make one myself.  After much internet research, I used butter sticks as a base and then used a garlic press to make my lambswool.  It turned out awesome, and I have now decided to give up buying butter lambs (I will only go to the Broadway Market for sausage :) and to make them every year!!  Too bad that I will probably be the only person tomorrow who eats it.  Unfortunately, Spaniards don't eat butter and I can't make an olive oil lamb :)




4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!!! Now I want to make my own butter lamb :)! I have a goal for next year now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermoso Emily!!! una obra de arte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww I love this Em :) I was talking to Jamey today about weird Polish traditions in Buffalo. Although I am not polish I am aware of the Lamb tradition! Dyngus Day is also only in Buffalo so everyone thinks I am weird when I explain the pussy willow/water gun thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! :) As a Polish girl, it makes my heart sing to see this. Also, just to assert my Polish dominance, Dyngus Day is not a Buffalo thing. They may have the world's largest Dyngus Day celebration, but Dyngus Day (the Polish term for Easter Monday) is celebrated all over the world by many Eastern Orthodox and die hard Roman Catholic cultures. Some of the traditions that Buffalo embraces happen to relate to the Polish take on Easter Monday, but it is not secular to Buffalo. I am not a Buffalo native and I grew up celebrating Easter Monday/Dyngus Day. Em - hope you had/have a great holiday (I have no idea how far in the future you guys are). I'll think of you guys as I eat my lamb shank and as Chris whips me while I run around the house with a wet t-shirt on (normal behavior, even on a non Dyngus Day).

    ReplyDelete